Monday, March 30, 2009

Yes.. I've started one

Hello all... after much pondering and contemplation, I have decided to start a blog as well. (That, plus the urging of my mother- a woman who I have learned its best to just give her what she wants erst you must hear about it 10 times a day for the next three months.. love ya mom!)

I'm not sure what direction to take this blog... random thoughts to ponder, frustrations at the douche nozzles that seem to populate the entire Delmarva area or something completely different.

The only thing on my mind now is that fascination so many of the people in my life have with the Twilight series of books. For the uninitiated- these are a very poorly written series of books aimed at Tweens about a girl at a high school in the Northwest who falls in love with a human friendly vampire- that hangs out at a high school (more about this later), and then shenanigans ensue when she wants to be bitten, he doesn't want to bite her (Let's just smack our readers in the face with the abstinence message) and sadness and torment continue through not just one, but 4(!) books, with intercontinental travel, werewolves (Why is it every vampire story today MUST involve werewolves?), marriages, etc...

For as bad as this is, I wonder why so many women in my life who I view as extremely intelligent individuals are so enthralled by a series of books aimed at pre-teens that has writing equivalent to a 5th grade book report?

Can someone please explain this to me? Is it it the vampire angle? I would completely understand that, being a fan of most things vampire myself - but there are so many other novels out there that are so much better if you need a vampire fix.. The Anne Rice vampire chronicles, The Shadow Saga, Bram Stoker's Dracula (The original, and still best vampire novel)...

I just wish I understood it... Well- I'm signing off. Gotta get a ride in before I head to clinicals later...

14 comments:

  1. Hey Chris I'm one of your first fans. If it's not your mother it's your uncle keepin an eye on you. Your so screwed. But to why women love twight I think they love that over powering stare vampires give you and then theres the BITE. The men do the sucking this time not them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Gasp!* It deserves more credit than "writing equivalent to a 5th grade book report"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to read this Twilight stuff and thought Skye's Tinkerbell stories were way more interesting. Then I tried listening to them on audiobook and sprained my face while rolling my eyes. I totally agree about much better sources for those sexy vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melanie- Yes- you were the one of the people this blog was directed at... but at least you are closer in age to the target audience some of the OTHER people :::cough cough Cat, heather, Erin and Kristen cough cough:::

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mel- It was worse for me- b/c I tried to read them while painting the town brown.. a time everyone knows is very special for me to relax and unwind. It ruined my whole experience and was one the most unsatisfying craps I had in a long time.. at least I had the book pages to use as I was out of TP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Dinsdale. Excellent name for your blog...lucky bastard.

    I must take issue with your first blog post.

    Equating Twilight with a fifth grade book report is deeply insulting...to MY fifth graders.

    I have not attempted to read the books myself. They are in the pile by my bed of "soon to reads". The BOTTOM of the pile.

    In closing let me say that Dinsdale was a perfect gentleman and what's more, he knew how to treat a female impersonator...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin Vampyr Lover WeaverMarch 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

    Dude, I am so over this conversation...really? This is your first blog post...you couldn't come up with something better? LMAO
    I'm totally kidding...I can't say that I think it's any where near close to good writing...Kristin Stewarts acting was horribly atrocious...the typos, grammar, and overly wordiness of the books was awful...BUT when Robert Pattinson walks into the cafeteria he is freakin' HOT!!!! And hot is hot...regardless of how good or BAD for that matter, the books or the rest of the movie are.
    So I admit...none of it's great...just a hot guy (and honestly, only in a few scenes, he typically has unusually greasy hair)...please post better blogs and stop picking on us LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling!!!! There is no need to continue to explain why I love this series....it's a fantasy....what woman wouldn't love to have a man who loved them so much that they would die for them or whatever....again the writing may suck (whatever!!!), but it's the story. Granted it seems that alot of the story was taken from Charlaine Harris's novels....pretty much basic concept. However, again I would never allow my daughter to read the story as young as some of these girls who are reading it, but that's neither here nor there. THE MOVIE SUCKED I never ever denied that, why they would have given the project such a small budget to work on is beyond my relm of thinking. Let us agree to disagree...you want nothing to do with it and the women in you life love it....suck it up to estrogen :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here...a deleted sex scene from Twilight...


    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1904237


    You are welcome...

    ReplyDelete
  11. and no it is not the vampire angle....but who wouldn't want a man to sparkle in the sun....Baby oil, glitter, and duct tape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently saw a t shirt that said - I like boys that sparkle.
    I might get one and only where it around you...and out in public around you would be better. Way more embarrassing..not for me...for you LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. So...What I have to say as one of these beautiful and intelligent women in your life who love the Twilight series is this...Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Reading two chapters of the first book in a series of four while dropping the kids off does not justify an entire blog about how awful the whole "twilight" series is. I sit through your crappy ass movies an then make my judgments when the credits roll. If I sat through half an hour of one of the Friday the 13th movies, and then wrote it off as, "poorly" directed with misguided and unrealistic plot sequences, I'd never hear the end of it...
    The "fascination" we women (and some men) have is the prospect of new love and mystique that Stephanie Meyer provides us with through each of her stories.
    So I suggest you reassess and read the whole series before you decide to bash or question motivation behind reading the series.
    I accept your crazy movie collection, do I not?

    ReplyDelete